Organization in the Office

Hey all,

I believe I've brought up this question before months ago, but here I am still struggling haha.

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for organization when it comes to making orders, keeping track of orders, etc.

I've been the purchasing agent here in our office for about 8 months now and it seems I just can't get ahead on anything. I'm ordering fixtures last minute for every job, having a hard time keeping up with what I've ordered and with who, etc. I've managed to squeak by but I'd like to improve so I'm not in a constant panic trying to ensure I've accounted for everything.

I've made specific job folders, tried to create my own spreadsheets, it just seems that everything I attempt to do I just run out of time and end up using it for maybe a day before abandoning that system.

We are a medium(?) sized plumbing company. At any given point we have around 25-30 open jobs. Most are tenant spaces, but we also have been doing a lot of large senior living homes (around 150 rooms). We have around 30 plumbers/helpers in the field and 5 people in the office. It can just be overwhelming at times trying to juggle 10 different jobs and keep up with what fixtures go where, etc. I should also note that I was never taught how to work in an office. I'm 29 years old and my family started this company in 1987. Our previous purchasing agent (sadly, she passed last labor day weekend) worked for a very large supply house for 20+ years and graduated from Maryland U magna cum laude in business, so needless to say she knew what she was doing. And even she was here at the office Monday-Saturday 5:30am-5:30pm. After her passing I was just kind of tossed into her position and have been here since. I enjoy it because I love computers and working with them, but I am not very good at this haha.

I can handle the groundworks/rough-in material pretty easily and that only takes me a few minutes to order and send our driver out to pick up, but the fixtures/long lead-time items are the killer for me.

So, if anyone has any tips or software recommendations, etc. to share with me and anyone else who views this, that would be greatly appreciated!
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments