Pipes backed up in apartment building

I was away for 2 months and left my first floor strata empty, with the heat left high enough to avoid freezing pipes. A member of the board was checking my place while I was gone. No one was turning on the water while I was gone. Two weeks before my return I received an email from this board member that an 'explosion' had come out of my double kitchen sinks, leaving a black mess all over my counters but not on the floor. There was also black guck in my corner cupboard and even dirty water left in some of the pots in there. The board member didn't take pictures but she and another neighbor cleaned up the counters. I've had no problems with my sinks since my return 3 weeks ago.

This board member told me it's not up to strata to check/fix my pipes unless I can prove that some of the other 6 tenants on my pipes also had problems. She had not been told of anyone complaining of problems. I only know one of these neighbors who lives directly above me. She had a water heater replaced at the same time. The parkade may have had the pipes worked on below me at that time but a storage room is supposedly below my unit.

How do I proceed? Is this a strata problem? My home insurance company says they don't fix plumbing issues.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments