Slab rough ins

Im just curious how you guys normally rough in for toilets.

I'm on my second slab remodel following behind somebody else and both were done differently than I was taught. We always set the flange before concrete, tape over it to keep clean and then my little invention was to fold up some sill foam in the slots and tape them in place to prevent the need to chip out later. Sometimes the flange ends up 1/4" too low and no big deal.

1st slab job I followed on was a high 3" stub wrapped with about 1/2" of sill foam so all you had to do was remove the foam, cut it about 1/4" below slab and then glue the flange on. This is a decent method.

2nd slab job yesterday there are no apparent signs of the toilet pipe whatsoever other than a vent pipe. The shower box was about 2" below grade. After looking at the H O pics of the rough he apparently just stubbed a pipe up and put a pile of gravel on it. This method is ****.
If he is truly 2" too low, then how I wonder, if he can eventually find the thing does he plan on putting a flange on that pipe?

One of the other ways I had considered doing these after I went out on my own was to use a 3x4 closet bend, stub a 4" pipe high, then it would just have to be trimmed flush and a TKO flange glued to the inside of the pipe.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments