Non-use of drain for 1 year, now blocked

I live in a 100-year-old 50-unit apartment building. Cast iron pipes. I know sometimes the building has problems with the pipes deteriorating in other apartments and drainage lines. I was renovating the bathroom so I didn't use the sink for about 1 year. When I put in a new sink, connected the pipes, and and ran the water it was clogged. The super took off the P-trap, which was clear, but couldn't get the snake to go in more than about 18 inches. Pipe is very rusty inside. Could the non-usage of the pipe for 1 year have caused the rust or calcification to completely block the pipe? They may now have to break open the wall and replace the pipe section (ugh). The super suspects I put something down the pipe (e.g. grout, etc.) which I didn't, and caused the blockage.

Again, my main question is: Could the non-usage of the pipe for 1 year have caused the rust or calcification to completely block the pipe?

Thanks.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments