Jet Swet

What are your thoughts on these? Is it a product worth having in the real world, or a solution for a problem that doesn't come up enough to justify one.

I had a call the other day where the homeowner was in a condo complex (shared meter) and had a gate valve that I wasn't comfortable touching. But she had a ton of work that she wanted to get done, rebuild some shower valves, faucets, angle stops, expansion tank was hanging on pex, etc, etc.

Many plumbers told her they wouldn't touch it, she didn't want to pay, and go through the hasle of the HOA, etc.

I called the boss to see how to price shutting down the whole building, and she wouldn't go for it, so nothing moved forward other than I fixed the exp tank and did some drain work.

So scenario 1:

I shut the ball valve, it holds, or mostly holds, I put in a jet swet to stop the trickle, sweat on a ball valve, and the gate breaks closed. HO is without water for who knows how long till the HOA contacts everyone and shuts down the meter, etc.

Scenario 2:

I shut gate valve, cut pipe, and water starts spraying cause gate is broke open, I jam in a jet swet, and get water to stop, then sweat on a ball valve and she now has a good main valve, and the gate is just gonna stay where it is.


Either scenario was not worth the risk, according to the boss, which I am fine with.

But I am curious, would you consider a jet swet a back up in case the gate was broke in the open position and the cut was made.........?

Could it stop 60psi of water in a 3/4 pipe, saving a flood?
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments