Hanging strap holder for drilling out holes

My van is stocked for drain service first. However, hangers take up a ton of room and thus I do not stock hangers for drain pipe. In the field I almost exclusively rely on hanging strap and threaded rod for service work. When I know ahead of time I will order hangers. Unfortunately the hanging strap we get only has 1/4" and 5/16" holes but all our threaded rod and sammys and ceiling plates are 3/8".


So I made this tool which holds hanging strap while I drill the holes to 3/8" with my unibit. Without this holder the bit catches and the strap slices open the palm of my hand. It is possible to hold the strap with channellocks but it's still risky.


That trap is on a bar sink and every time they slid a crate of liquor under there the board would get knocked out. I was there for other issues and an employee asked me to fix this quick before I left. The ceiling plate is screwed to the floor.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: IMAG0007.jpg Views: N/A Size: 250.0 KB ID: 110106  

Click image for larger version Name: IMAG0006.jpg Views: N/A Size: 208.6 KB ID: 110108  

Click image for larger version Name: IMAG0011.jpg Views: N/A Size: 243.9 KB ID: 110110  

Click image for larger version Name: IMAG0013.jpg Views: N/A Size: 233.2 KB ID: 110112  

Click image for larger version Name: IMAG0012.jpg Views: N/A Size: 244.6 KB ID: 110114  

Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments