All Steel Home

I spent the first {5} years of this trade doing new construction. I've done both residential and commercial {like hospitals and gov't. bldgs.}.


Then, for the last approx. {20} years it's been service plumbing with some re-models here and there.


I was very comfortable with new construction....until TODAY!


All the homes that I've ever worked on had either metal studs or wood studs. Easy to drill and notch for stacks and pipes.
I have both a metal stud punch and a Milwaukee right-angle drill.
However, I am doing a top-out {2nd rough} for a sweet older couple who have a steel structure with beefy really thick metal studs. There isn't any wood, even the roof is steel with 4" of insulation between the metal.
The floor joists are all heavy-duty steel.
So today to just get a 2" stack up through the steel I had to break out my hand held grinder. I have only used the grinder w/ a steel disc that has diamond grit for cutting cast iron. Well the diamond disc doesn't do too well on steel. So I found this other disc in the grinder box that's been there for over {20} years. It's brand new. Looks rust colored, fiber maybe? So I put that disc on and low and behold it cuts steel studs. {while showering sparks all over...LOL}
A little bit of a pain in the a$$ to work with these steel studs.


Now I know. Live & learn.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments