Wood Working

Someday I would love to have myself a really great woodshop. I've got a lot of tools already and although there are quite a few I would still like to add, my space is just too small.

Anyway, i've been working on my kitchen project for a long time now. After my wife got sick, it kinda put the brakes on it. I've been able to do some of the inexpensive stuff to it, and at this point I am burned out on drywall work.

Anyway, I removed a cabinet from the living room area that butts up to the kitchen wall where I'm going to have a bar top. I put a temporary top in and now I just need to get some stools. Bar stools can't cost that much, right?

Wrong. So I did some looking around on the internet and found a pretty simple stool that supposedly cost 10 dollars in two by lumber.

So I looked around to see what I had and found a bunch of that 1x4 or 1x3 shower stall crating material in the front yard. I cut out the pieces with nails and ripped everything to a rough width, then cut them to the length I needed. The top of the seat has a curve in it, so I cut each one with a jigsaw (lord I wish I had a bandsaw). Laminated them together and got to sanding.

The curve came out pretty nice after sanding, but the bottom of the seat was really out of whack because my curves weren't all perfect when I glued it up, so I needed a planer. My dad has one, but it's only a 10" and my seat is 11-3/4" wide. I found a 12" delta planer for sale locally for $175 but again, if I had that much cash laying around I might just buy some bar stools.

Time to come up with something else.

So yesterday I built a router sled big enough to accomodate a 12" wide piece of wood. I could modify it in the future for wider boards if I needed to. It worked beautifully for what I needed, although probably slower and more difficult to adjust.

I realize now i'm typing this on the computer and the picture I took is upstairs on the cell phone. I'll add it later on.

If calls don't come in today I might build a table saw sled.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments