Honesty > Making money

So this customer is fed up with replacing water heaters. They have been through 4 tanks in 16 years at their home. Upon advice from the local home depot plumbing expert, they need a sediment filter on their main water line to increase longevity of the new tank.

I called her back and explained to her that since she was on city water, the likelihood of getting enough sediment from the city to cause premature tank failure in 4 heaters is extremely low. If she was getting that much sediment from the city, she would be seeing it in her aerators and showerheads as well, not just the water heater.

I told her that I would be more than happy to install the sediment filter for her, but I felt that it was a waste of her money.

I didn't say it out loud but I also think it's just another hardware store idiot throwing out an idea on a subject he knows nothing about nor has taken any time or energy to research. There are so many other components to water quality that singling it out on sediment is just stupid IMO.

Maybe i'm wrong on this one, but I also find it baffling that sediment would accelerate tank failure any faster than the water being in contact with the steel.

I also explained to her that the previous tanks had no provisions for thermal expansion, so there is also that extra stress on the tank. I've measured thermal expansion before on closed systems reaching 125 PSI. I know the tanks are rated for more, but increased force on an object will always reduce its lifespan. I asked if her neighbors were having similar issues and she said yes. I'm willing to bet none of them have thermal expansion tanks either since this is a subdivision probably all plumbed by the same contractor. No drip pan, and relief valve piping going up the wall and then back down into the garage. Somehow everyone automatically assumes water quality issue.

How does this crap pass inspection?

Anyway... I may have lost an hour or two of work, but in the end she will be happier saving the money and recommend me to people she knows.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments

Popular Posts