Fed Up With Air Foot Switches

Many years ago, my dad asked me if there was a way to make his old style Spartan 1065 and 300 safe where getting electrocuted was minimal like an air foot switch rod but with a mechanical switch. Back then I just got out of the Army doing field radio repair (29E10) and I was working at a place that designed switching power supplies.


So with the electronics back ground I came up with a solution that you run the A/C power to the motor deck, and have the switching mechanism in the deck just like an air foot switch except I used a solid state relay. A solid state relay has 4000 volts isolation from the low voltage signal side to the high voltage switched side. To switch the relay on you just needed to apply 3 V to 24 V DC to the signal side. Which I did with a 9 volt battery inside a foot switch.


Fast forward 30 years later, I purchased a new 1065 for the quite motor so I can do roddings at restaurants without that high pitch noise that disturbs everyone. I gave the air foot switch a chance thinking after all this time they had improved on it. I was sadly mistaken. So I got my hands on a mechanical foot switch, a black box to house the connector and a LED voltage display for the battery. The box mounted easily at the location of the air switch. The solid state relay is inside the wiring box of the 1065. After seeing how it was laid out inside I can easily mount the foot switch connector and the LED display to the metal back plate.

Anyways here is a video of it working along with some pictures.


Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version Name: 20180921_175429.jpg Views: N/A Size: 265.3 KB ID: 108760  

Click image for larger version Name: 20180921_172748.jpg Views: N/A Size: 347.5 KB ID: 108762  

Click image for larger version Name: 20180921_175317.jpg Views: N/A Size: 210.5 KB ID: 108764  

Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments