Work history and company reputation

After a few months of pestering every plumbing company in Austin I finally found my first helper/apprentice job. They had me come in for an interview the same day they called me back from a resume I sent in. It all happened so fast. I start Monday.
After they offered me the job and sent me to a lab for a UA I went and did a little more research on the company. Their reviews are really bad. The good ones look really fake.. Like they are trying to dilute their online poor reviews with their own fake ones, just a suspicion.
I saw an ad they posted for journeyman in a TX Plumbers Facebook group. The post was flooded with literally 20+ comments from local plumbers bashing the company.. Talking about how terrible they are. Some comments about it being a terrible place to work (commission pay/lack of work/terrible owner/management) but some about the quality of the work as well.

So I'm thinking either this is an opportunity for me in that they are kinda desperate, apparently, or this is the wrong way to start my career. What I am wondering is if I am going to have a hard time moving to a better company or Union (preferred) with a company on my resume that has a bad reputation in TX (3 locations in 3 cities).
Ill grind out a ****ty work situation for 6 months to a year if it will get my foot in the door of a plumbing career, but I don't want to tarnish my own reputation and limit my appeal to other employers in the future. Or maybe it is all noise and a good place to learn and work..
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments