My very first disappointing job as a business owner.

I got a call from a friend of the family asking how much I would charge to go over and turn off the water because she was at work and they were losing water out of their water heater.

She is about 3 minutes down the road so I just went and did it. There was a ton of water leaking out of the pan drain.

So I let her know about the heater leaking, the water was off to it and the power was off to it and to let me know if she wanted me to actually do any work there. She let me know that she doesn't own it, so she would try to get in touch with her landlord.

2 days later, she still can't get ahold of him so she told me to just go ahead and do the job and she would pay me and then submit the bill in lieu of her rent check.

Well, that never happened. She paid her rent and just handed the bill to this dude and he called me last night to let me know that he wasn't happy with the bill that he has a manager that takes care of the property and he could have had this thing delivered and installed for x amount from home depot, and i'm apparently $200 too high.

He was really concerned about the $50 permit fee and I explained to him that anybody who removes, replaces or causes to be removed or replaced a water heater is required to have a permit for it at which point the water heater needs to meet code, which it currently did not. I had some extra parts and labor involved in bringing it up to code.

At the end of it all he told me that he wouldn't be paying the whole thing, but letting his tenant know that she would be responsible for the rest.

That's the first and only strike for me doing work on a rental property without communication from the landlord even for friends. Sorry that you haven't had hot water for 2 days. I would move.

Also, not sorry that i'm $200 higher than a scab property manager. I could not even give the material away with no markup and come down that much.

FFS :plain:
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments