snow day

Sitting at home today, the 3rd time in as many weeks due to a big storm, over a foot or more. In my younger days I'd play the hero and get into work no matter what, living the furthest away but leaving hours early just to get in, only to be limited in what I could get done because no one else would show up, or not getting any credit for my efforts. I'd even neglect things at home, such as clearing my own driveway and have to do it very late that night after an already long day.

One time I even was hit by another car, going too fast. The driver had no insurance of course, causing a lot of headaches for me. Now I feel that it's just not worth it, mostly because of having to watch out for the other guy, especially since by the nature of our job we are on the road more and so our exposure to them is greater. Every single time there is snow and ice I see many, many idiots who simply go way too fast for the conditions. I love it when they speed past me and I come upon them in the ditch a little ways up the road, but my smug satisfaction is little consolation to other people who are unlucky enough to be in accidents caused by these idiots.

Now I find that it's just not worth taking the chance, and won't take any risks. One of the other guys is playing the hero, and probably thinks that I'm a slacker. Good for him, I don't have anything to prove, and he'll probably learn the hard way.

Almost every single vehicle in this horrific accident was at fault because they simply were going way too fast for the conditions. The few who weren't had their vehicles and possibly their lives destroyed by others who were just effing stupid.

Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments