Water hammer started suddenly?

I moved into this house about 2 years ago with no water hammer issues at all. I have a submersible well pump with a well trol pressure tank and a whole house water filter. All sweated copper pipe.

The water filter failed (started leaking out of the seal) last weekend. Luckily I caught it early, and I just basically removed and bypassed it. I'm not an expert at pipe sweating so there was some trial and error but it was what you'd expect-- shut water off, close valve to pressure tank, drain as best I could, sweat it, turn water pressure back on, inspect, repeat.

Anyway, took me longer than it should have but I got it done. But now I have water hammer. Pretty bad, especially with the washing machine. I tried those little AA size arrestors you can just thread on the washing machine outlet, but that didn't help. So I'm kind of at a loss on what to do next-- 2 story house so most of the piping is hidden behind walls.

I just don't understand why it started. What can cause water hammer to start out of nowhere like this?

Thanks in advance.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments