Today is another step towards flat rate pricing

Today is another step towards flat rate pricing. I did a fridge repipe last week for an elderly gentleman. I gave him the option to fix the leak or repipe because it wasn't code approved piping and done by a hack. He chose to do it right.


This week he wanted to replace a water heater and repipe the kitchen sink drain as it was done incorrectly(hack again), lube the faucet and replace the sprayer..


At the end he started complaining about my rate, that I charged my time to write out his bill and to fill out his water heater warranty card(He bought his own water heater). That I charged more than a lawyer not true (most start at 250+$/hr) and some over 500$/hr. The final bill should be less and I should make less. The guy had used a stopwatch because he told me the minutes when I got off the truck to his house, to the time I finished packing the tools and time of the invoice.

He wasn't not more happy even though I told him I forgot to bill the sprayer and he'd get it free and that I took time off the bill.


So I checked this afternoon to do some comparisons because its not my first time I'm being compared to a lawyer... my licence and insurance is 3 times more annually than a lawyer and my rate is way less too. I have 3 times more education than a regular lawyer. So yeah looks like we should make less than the wages of a lawyer (which I already am!)


So I think I will charge a consultation fee and flat rate every task individually and give them options on what they want to fix or not. I won't be giving free quotes either that's why there's going to be a consultation fee.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments