Qualifying customers for remodels

Renovation season is about to begin in about 3 months and I will be getting many phone calls for bathroom remodels. There was one week where I got probably 15 calls asking about renovation estimates. I was overwhelmed by the shear amount of DIY trying to get free estimates, hire me for peanuts or get free how to’s. They are very subtle....
I don’t want to spend all my time and energy to find out they are DIY and looking for a free consultation or people who want a free estimate thinking a remodel costs 300$. A lot of good people have no idea its not cheap.

How do you screen these calls to get a real customer? What questions do you ask to qualify them?

How do you avoid going to someone’s house talking to them for an hour about their project, spending a day preparing a quote and they don’t call you back?

Since many contractors will head out for free how do you persuade a potential customer that my hard work estimating and consulting ain’t free? OR once you screen them and sound reasonable do you go out for free? Do you sit down at their table to qualify them and charging for a quote(Not an estimate).

Would it be a wise idea to pepare a quote only once they already have one to show you? I’m probably going to be higher priced anyway as many companies send out aprentices to work alone even if its not legal.

I see sometimes that plumbing contractors already have a ready price per fixture.

I was also thinking of preparing a web page for them to read before I head out to their house that explains some procedures, budget, hiring licenced contractors etc.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments