Moen Posi Temp - increasing hot water?

I know there are a lot of things that can go wrong, limiting the hot water, but I also noticed that the the design, even when functioning perfectly, limits the hot water because you cannot physically turn the valve the whole way up. This is because the tube / collar and the handle adaptor both have a certain width that limits the upper range of the temperature (when the valve is set to the correct polarity).

At one end of the valve, the collar and handle adaptor set the "off" position: where the handle adapter hits the left side of the collar. At the other end, they set the maximum temperature: this is the point where the handle adapter hits the other (right) side of the collar. However, that is not the maximum range of the hot water! It can go higher, so rather than turning up the heat in my hot water tank (and having scolding water through my sink), I want to get more range on my Moen Posi Temp valve.

At this point in time, I actually just removed the collar/tube. As long as the shower handle is in the down position, the water is off, but the handle can turn a full 360 degrees, and it can get notably warmer. I definitely gained some temperature range.

My question is whether this is the best solution? Other solutions I can think of include:
- Putting the collar back in, and changing the polarity of the cartridge so down is off, and slightly on is the hottest. The valve would be limited on the cold end instead.
- Modifying the handle adapter so it can turn further before it hits the collar/tube when turning the temperature up.

PS. I do not have a temperature control adapter in my faucet and I don't believe there are any other problems.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments