Up the Vent Stack

I was clearing a main line stoppage today. No c.o. anywhere, cast iron drains and vents, 2-story house, some what of a crawl space.

I pulled the toilet {which I hate, hate, hate} in order to cable the drain line. Brass closet flange with lead riser-built in the 1950's.

I first tried the 5/8" stiff cable with my K-60. That did not seem to do well, although I pulled back some baby wipes. So I go get the bigger 7/8" cable which is what is really needed but since I'm working inside the bathroom, I tried the smaller cable first. The 5/8" ridgid cable is made in 7 1/2' & 10' lengths. I was using the 10' lengths {it is a stiffer cable}.

Since the 7/8" cables are in 15' lengths, I obviously didn't want to tangle with those inside if I could have avoided it {I often think of you guys with your drum machines at times like this.....:laughing:}. Wrestling with sectional cables sucks inside.

Anyway, I'm getting to the point: the gentleman of the house comes into the bathroom and says, "Did you know that your cable is up on the roof?"

I said, "You've got to be effing kidding me."

Eventually I cleared the babywipes and re-set the W/C, collected for the bill and bid him farewell.

I haven't gotten a cable on the roof in a long long time. Like over 15 years ago. I know the trick about putting a bend on the end of the cable. I sent a straight retriever auger down and that is what cleared the stoppage.

Ridgid's catalog does not show a drop head in 7/8". I have one in 5/8" but need the larger one. Sometimes the older homes have the closet bend running to a cast iron tee which goes up for the lav drain and vent, and then down to the main line. I got there today at around 10 AM and left just before 2 PM.

What do you guys do in this situation? Drop head on the 7/8" or some other trick?
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments