You Must Unlearn What You Have Learned...

Ok so sorry for the teaser thread title but it goes really well with what I would like to talk about, which is tankless water heaters. Here's the situation:

Builder calls us says H/O complains they run out of hot water. They have a State tankless nat gas unit outside with control pad inside home. Temp set to 120*F. I open shower valve to full hot, run it for 20 minutes, unit stays on, bathroom steams up from all the glorious hot water.
I explain to the builder that the unit is working fine, it is user error. He asks how so? I explain that the tankless requires three things to turn on and stay on, electricity, gas and water flow. I explain that I believe the hot water is set too high for H/O's comfort level and they are trying to lower temp of water by using the handle on the shower. This lowers water flow through tankless which eventually kills the burner and therefore the water goes cold. Now mind you this is an older gentleman who does not believe in newfangled contraptions like tankless water heaters, and insists I change out cartridge to shower valve.
I quoted him from the Grand Master Plumber Yoda that they "must unlearn what they have learned" in regards to operating their hot water taps. Gone is the day of a storage tank with 50 gallons of heated water just sitting waiting to be used. Now, they have on demand hot water which means they must adjust temp at the controller, not at the faucet, in order for the unit to work as intended. Too bad they installed the controller in a closet underneath the stairs(dumb). Now I found the controller to be bad so I'll replace that but it's been fun explaining to H/O's they have to change the way they use their hot water which means discarding habits they've used for decades. Some pics...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments