What a great day to end the week !

Was talking with a guy today about how his previous employer and some of the guys he knows currently working there were able to take their journeyman test after only having 3200-4000 hours in under a master, which I already doubted because the board of plumbing site said otherwise.

In any case, I figured I would humor myself and call because I have over 6k hours, probably more because I don't have all of my pay stubs with proof of my hours. In anycase, I call city hall and ask and the lady is completely oblivious but told me to contact one of the members of the board. So, I call one of the board members and he didn't know either, and told me he would get back to me. 10 minutes later he returns my call and boy did my world get flipped upside down.

Turns out, I was right by referring to the board of plumbing site, 8k hours. What I didn't know, is that you had to be registered with the city as a licensed apprentice, nor did my employer. Actually, a lot of masters probably don't know that because the rule of thumb was, as long as you had the proof you were working under a master you would be credited and it doesn't state that in the board of plumbing site.

So, being that I was only registered in 2014 and this current year, all my experience means absolutely nothing. He told me that because of recent problems with people going for their license, they're cracking down. They told me that I could have been digging ditches and only that since 2008 regardless or not I have the proof of hours working for a master. I mean, honestly, I could have just done the same thing while registered as an apprentice, so that's a pretty flawed argument.

In any case, I asked if a letter of referal from my boss on a company letter head would suffice as proof, he told me it wouldn't matter. He said it wasn't about the hours, as much as it was about the amount of years you held the apprentice card...heh. So basically, regardless of how long and how many hours I've put in, it means jack **** because i don't have a piece of paper the size of a business card stating I was an apprentice.

He said I could go in front of the board of plumbers and argue it, but I feel like it would be a waste of time. I'm going to dig deeper, but who knows what that will unturn. In any case, PA is county based, so it's not like my hours matter else where. I think I'm about ready to just ditch this place and move. If I gotta restart anyways, might as well go somewhere with more opportunities and where time in will matter. They wonder why people are running away from trades, is because of **** barriers they create because they don't want others stepping on their feet, when there is enough work for everyone.

Great way to end the week and ruin the weekend.
Via RSSMix.com Mix ID 8247361 http://www.rssmix.com/

Comments